Sep 12, 2012 No Comments ›› Pat Dollard
(The Guardian) The film that sparked the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi caused uproar across the Muslim world. Protesters took to the streets in some countries, US citizens were warned to keep a low profile and public condemnations of the film were issued. Afghanistan
The president, Hamid Karzai, condemned the movie, which he described as “inhuman and insulting”. The US embassy in Kabul appealed to Afghan leaders for help “maintaining calm” over the film, a statement said.
An Afghan official said the government had temporarily blocked access to YouTube to prevent people from watching the film. Aimal Marjan, general director of information technology at the ministry of communications, said the site was blocked for about 90 minutes on Wednesday until YouTube took the video down.
Access to the site was then restored, he said. The government decided to temporarily deny access to YouTube because of concerns the video could spark protests, he added.
The Taliban called on Afghans to prepare for a fight against Americans and urged insurgents to “take revenge” on US soldiers.
“The Islamic Emirate calls on religious heads around the country to completely inform Muslim followers of the inhumane acts of Americans … and make them ready for a long-term fight,” the group said in a statement, using the name it calls itself.
Earlier this year, Afghans rioted after US soldiers serving at Bagram prison north of Kabul mistakenly burned hundreds of Qur’ans and other religious materials.
The Muslim Brotherhood called for a nationwide demonstration on Friday to protest at “insults to the prophet”. The rallying cry followed a protest in Cairo on Tuesday, in which Islamist demonstrators climbed the walls of the US embassy and tore down an American flag. Four people were later arrested, and security forces were searching for others who took part in the protest.
The Egyptian president, Mohamed Morsi, asked the Egyptian embassy in Washington to take legal action in the United States against makers of the film, the official state news agency said. Morsi had requested the mission take “all legal measures”.
Mahmoud Hussein, the Muslim Brotherhood’s secretary general, posted a message on the party’s website calling for all Egyptians to join a “peaceful protest to condemn insults to religious convictions and insults to the prophet” after noon prayers on Friday in front of main mosques across Egypt.
Another group, the Salafi Call, demanded the suspension of co-operation between Egypt and the US “until [the US government] takes practical measures to stop this farce”.
Dozens of people joined a protest in Gaza City, some carrying swords, axes and black flags, and chanting: “Shame on everyone who insults the prophet,” and: “Death to America.” The rally was organised by supporters of the militant organisation the Popular Resistance Committees.
Hamas, the larger militant group that governs Gaza, also condemned the film.
Its religious affairs minister, Ismail Radwan, called it an “insult to the millions of Muslims all over the world”.