Home  »  Crime  »  KC Chief’s Jovan Belcher Kills Girlfriend At Home, Goes To Arrowhead Stadium, Thanks GM & Coach In Parking Lot, Shoots Self In Front Of Them

Dec 1, 2012 Comments Off Pat Dollard

Screenshot from ArrowheadPride.com:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (CBS/AP) — A 25-year-old Kansas City Chiefs player fatally shot his girlfriend early Saturday, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium, where the Chiefs play, and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager, police said.

Police spokesman Darin Snapp said the player killed his girlfriend and then went to the team practice facility, where he shot himself.

Several reports identified the player as LB Jovan Belcher, including a report by CBSSports.com’s Jason La Canfora.

Before turning the gun on himself, Belcher thanked Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel for all they had done for him, Snapp said.

Pioli and Crennel are both former New England Patriots’ staffers.

Belcher, 25, was a football standout at the University of Maine, where he graduated from in 2008.

Snapp described the girlfriend as in her early 20s and that she and Belcher had a child together. He said the woman’s mother told police they had recently been arguing.

Authorities received a call Saturday morning from a woman who said her daughter had been shot multiple times at a residence about five miles away from the Arrowhead complex.

“When we arrived, a lady informed us that her daughter had been shot multiple times by her boyfriend, by the daughter’s boyfriend,” Snapp said. “She identified him as a Chiefs player.”

Snapp said a call was then received from the Chiefs’ facility.

“The description matched the suspect description from that other address. We kind of knew what we were dealing with,” he said. The player was “holding a gun to his head” as he stood in front of the front doors of the practice facility.

“And there were Pioli and Crennel and another coach or employee was standing outside and appeared to be talking to him. It appeared they were talking to the suspect,” Snapp said. “The suspect began to walk in the opposite direction of the coaches and the officers and that’s when they heard the gunshot. It appears he took his own life.”

The coaches told police they never felt in any danger, Snapp said.

“They said the player was actually thanking them for everything they’d done for him,” he said. “They were just talking to him and he was thanking them and everything. That’s when he walked away and shot himself.”

Arrowhead Stadium was on lockdown for a short time after the shooting.

Belcher’s Black Bentley being towed from Arrowhead Stadium after committing suicide:

Excerpted from The Kansas City Star: Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher this morning shot and killed his girlfriend before going to Arrowhead Stadium and fatally shooting himself as team personnel tried to stop him, police said.

Police Capt. David Lindaman said Belcher, 25, and his girlfriend, 22, got into an argument around 7 a.m. at their home in the 5400 block of Crysler Avenue in Kansas City. Around 7:50 a.m., Lindaman said, Belcher shot his girlfriend multiple times. She was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The Star is not naming the victim at this time pending assurances that her family has been notified.

Lindaman said Belcher’s mother, who was visiting the couple and their 2-month-old daughter from New York, witnessed the shooting and was being interviewed by police.

Belcher left the scene on Crysler and went to the Chiefs practice facility at Arrowhead, police said.

Police were called to the stadium around 8:10 a.m. When Belcher arrived there he encountered General Manager Scott Pioli, Coach Romeo Crennel and other team personnel. Police said Chiefs staff attempted to keep Belcher from committing additional acts of violence. When police arrived, they heard a gunshot and found that Belcher had shot himself in the head.

Keep reading…