Combat Troops May Get Stimulus Checks

February 5th, 2008 (7) Posted By .

Marine Corps Times:

Troops in combat zones who do not pay federal income taxes still would be eligible for tax rebates under the economic stimulus package being worked out in Congress.

The House version of the stimulus bill, supported by the White House, includes so-called “recovery rebates” — $600 per person and $1,200 per couple — that would be sent by the Treasury Department to every American who earned at least $3,000 in 2007. The rebate would increase by $300 for each dependent child.

The Senate version of the bill would pay less, at $500 per taxpayer and $1,000 per couple, also with $300 per child, also with a requirement of $3,000 in earned income to qualify.

Both bills include a clause that counts untaxed income earned in a combat zone as if it is taxed income for the purposes of qualifying for the recovery rebate.

Still undetermined is what would happen to disabled veterans with less than $3,000 in earned income. The House bill would not give them a rebate, but the Senate Finance Committee proposes authorizing a special pay, which would come as an allowance from the Department of Veterans Affairs, equal to the payment other people would receive from the Treasury Department.

Congressional leaders hope all the details can be worked out by the end of the week.

Jihadi Killer Radio Hour
Follow Pat on Twitter

Comments are closed.