Excerpted from Newsday: Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Sunday deployed nearly 1,000 State Police officers and National Guard troops to protect New York City transit hubs and other key spots statewide following the bomb blast Saturday night in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood.
Security in the city already had been stepped up with additional officers and bomb-sniffing dogs because world leaders were attending a United Nations gathering Sunday evening that was expected to include President Barack Obama.
Cuomo said it’s too early to say whether the explosion could be linked to international terrorism — but “a bomb exploding in New York is obviously an act of terrorism.”
Cuomo’s office said the state Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, State Police, National Guard, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Port Authority will remain on a heightened state of alert. He said subway service and PATH service have been restored. “Both systems suffered no structural damage,” a statement from the governor’s office said. All trains running on the E and F lines will bypass 23rd Street and trains running on the No. 1 line will not stop at 23rd or 28th Street.
“Protecting the safety of New Yorkers and our state’s visitors is priority number one,” Cuomo said. Keep reading